Sold widely under the name ultram(immediate release tablet). Immediate release tablet refers to any drug that are released inside the body right away.This medicine is an opioid pain medication which is used for the treatment of moderate to severe pain. After an hour of its consumption its effects start to show. Often combined with a paracetamol since it increases the efficiency of pain relief more. There are three different forms of tramadol which are also available in the form of generic drugs and these generic drugs usually cost less. In other cases, these tablets may not be available in every strength or share the same brand name version. Tramadol is a controlled substance which means that it can only be take under doctor’s supervision and prescribed by a medical professional.
Why is it used?
Tramadol primarily helps in getting rid of moderate to severe pain anywhere in the body. It’s analgesic effects (a drug that acts to relieve pain) takes almost one hour to show its effects. As compared to morphine it has one tenth of its potency levels and is equally potent when compared to codeine and pethidine. For moderate pain its effectiveness is equivalent to morphine and its effects lasts for as long as 6 hours.
The dosage forms that are available include: liquids, syrups, capsules and powders. In several cases it is also used as an important part of combination therapy, which means that it uses more than one medication. It works by changing the brain’s receptors in a way your body feels and responds to pain.
How does tramadol work?
- Tramadol is categorized in a class of drugs known as opioid agonists.The group of medicines belonging to this class works in a similar manner and these drugs are used to treat similar conditions.
- It is a serotonin release agent and a well – established serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It works by changing the way your brain perceives pain in a normal situation.
- It is also similar toa substance that is already present in your brain, known as endorphins. Endorphins binds to the receptors and these bound receptors in return decrease the pain message that your body sends to your brain.
- Tramadon works in a similar fashion by decreasing the amount of pain your brain thinks you are experiencing.
The most common side effects that have been reported to be experienced by patients are: dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, vertigo, indigestion, drowsiness and headache. As compared to other opioids, respiratory depression and constipation are not a problem when it comes to tramadol consumption.
Although there have been suggestions that a chronic opioid usage may induce a state of tolerance for the immune system. But it has been found that in contrast to typical opioids tramadol may even enhance the immune function.
· Dependence and withdrawal –Long term usage of tramadol causes physical dependence on the substance and shows withdrawal symptoms which are: numbness, tingling sensation, tinnitus and paresthesia.
· Overdose –Fatalities caused due to tramadol overdose has been reported and majority of these reports have shown people consuming tramadol along with alcohol.
Tramadol may compliment other medications:
Tramadol has the capacity to interact with other sorts of medications, vitamins and herbs you may be consuming. In this context, interaction means when a substance changes the functioning of the drug as a whole. This is a harmful factor since it can prevent the drug from working well and up to its full capacity. In order to avoid these interactions your primary healthcare provider should manage all of your medications carefully and after analysing the medical history closely.
Drugs that should not be taken with tramadol:
Consuming the following drugs along with tramadol may cause serious and dangerous side long term effects:
- Carbamazepine – this medication when paired with tramadol has the capacity to make tramadol less effective in relieving your pain. It also substantially decreases the amount of tramadol your body receives and increases your risk of seizure.
like, fluoxetine, sertraline, paroxetine and citalopram. If you consume
tramadol with the above mentioned drugs then you will be susceptible to
serotonin syndrome, who’s symptoms include: nausea, vomiting, fast heartbeat